By Elena Giralt
This week in privacy, Amnesty International released a 60 page report on surveillance, privacy and human rights. Today, Brittany Kaiser, Cambridge Analytica whistleblower gave testimony to New York state lawmakers on protecting consumer privacy. Uber is piloting features that allow drivers and riders to record each other. Leigh Cuen’s latest reporting describes how global protests in Lebanon, Iran and Hong Kong reveal the limitations of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I’m keeping my eye on the California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA), which goes into effect January 1, 2020. It’s been lauded by many as the American version of GDPR. Microsoft announced earlier this month that it will honor CCPA privacy rights throughout the US.
Here are the latest updates from ECC.
- ECC posted a round-up of our latest Livestream. We also shared a deep dive of our Flight Plan for 2020.
- Sentiment Collection is well underway! This poll will remain open until Saturday, November 30.
- New team member alert: Steven Smith recently joined the team as Engineering Director. Welcome to the Zeal.
- The code name for NU3 is HEARTWOOD. There will be a blog post coming soon. I couldn’t ever find the results of the “Straw Poll” but based on the comments from people who participated in it, it seems like the results were consistent with the Forum poll.
- There will be no update next week on account of Thanksgiving holiday.
- We’ve made good progress on getting recent community submissions reviewed, and as soon as our CI migration is complete we hope to merge several of them.
- We’re continuing to make progress on reviewing the MMR code developed by Parity Tech.
- Half of the team was at Kubecon this week.learning a lot and enjoying sunny San Diego. Other than that, the team is continuing to work on updating CI/CD
- This sprint, the team continued improvements to 1) get iOS up to parity with Android 2) refine the android SDK/prepare to deliver a reliable, usable, mvp internal android wallet and 3) make substantive changes to lightwalletd for speed/memory/bandwidth improvements.
- Exciting highlight: we evaluated changes that Aditya (@adityapk00) made to lightwalletd, so that we can incorporate some of the changes that he had made as improvements to lightwalletd. We also started exploring further lightwalletd improvements with some community members.