By Elena Giralt
Here are the latest updates from ECC:
- The Community has decided to continue funding the project!
- The dev fund polling was completed earlier this week and community sentiment is clear. A new “Major Grants” pool has been created to incentivize third party contribution to the Zcash ecosystem. Notably, this Major Grants pool represents the largest slice (40%) of the Dev Fund. The Dev Fund also provides ongoing funding for the Electric Coin Co and the Zcash Foundation. Read more here.
- Zeal Community call was a hit.
- We discussed DevFund and Zcash grants. We were joined by security professional, privacy expert and law professor Dr. Lawrence Cappello to learn about the history of privacy from a US legal perspective.
- Click here for a recording of Lawrence’s presentation.
- Click here for the slides from the Zeal call.
- Dates to remember
- Thurs, 2/13 thru Sat 2/15 – ECC will be at ETH Denver, come say hi
- Tues, 2/18 – ECC Live Stream, pushed back a week
- Tues, 2/25 – February Zeal call, register here
- Wallet Team:
- iOS SDK: new release – added UI scaffolding for send, receive, home, profile, and details screens, bug fix, and additional functionalities in SDK
- 85%+ test coverage of lightwalletd
- Android SDK: UI changes based on feedback + seed verification in progress
- Designed send verification workflow
- Researched/decided how to automate and host api reference documentation
- Development Infrastructure Team:
- Completed investigation into release optimization
- Finished final audit of python3 migration components
- Implemented new health check endpoint monitoring tools
- Initiated work for measuring open source community health via CHAOSS metrics
- Core Team:
- Security Team:
- Reviewed lightwalletd PRs
- External security assessment blog post
- Community Shout Outs – This new section is to celebrate and highlight the contributions to Zcash made by folks outside of ECC. Ping me if you have suggestions for next week.
- Shout out to @FTramer for reporting an issue with the iOS SDK.
- Shout out to @decentralistdan for kicking off the #z2zchain
- Shout out to community members whose PRs were merged this week, oxarbitrage, MarkLTZ and zancas
This week in privacy, we celebrated World Data Privacy Day. Access Now published a roundup of all their privacy advocacy efforts last year. It’s worth a read! Facebook released more privacy controls for users. Early investor Roger McNamee is not impressed. Neither was Illinois. Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Brittany Kaiser talked about data privacy and blockchain legislation at Davos.
The US Financial Services Committee had a hearing today on mobile payments. Start listening at 1:03:09 to hear discussion on financial privacy, Zcash gets a callout by Congressman Tom Emmer at 1:08:30. That’s all for this week folks. Happy Friday!