Here are the latest updates from ECC:
- ECC Live Stream Q12020 took place earlier this week. We covered dev fund, engineering plan, Halo research, zECC wallet and community programs. Check out my twitter thread for the full TLDR.
- ECC is hiring a Software Engineer. Help us develop the most advanced private cryptocurrency on the planet, and make it more approachable for everyone in the world.
- The next Zeal Call is Tuesday, Feb. 25 at 1 pm EST. The conversation will focus on two topics: Major Grants and a spotlight on Tor Project. Before the call, I am going to test drive Tor’s browser. You should too! Register here for the Zeal call.
- Don’t forget to join the conversation on the new Zcash Discord chat.
- Community Shout Outs – This new section is to celebrate and highlight the contributions to Zcash made by folks outside of ECC and Foundation. Ping me if you have suggestions for next week.
- Shout out to 李亚东, group manager for Zcash WeChat group
- Shout out to 程亮 (Cheng Liang) who released a Chinese version of Zecwallet
- Shout out to ZcashFR for translating Zcash related news into French. Merci!
This week in privacy, there was a flurry of Google-related headlines. It’s more of the same so I will spare you the links. The most interesting story I saw was related to a marketplace auctioning DNA samples of world leaders. Too scary? You might enjoy this deepfake of world leaders apologizing for climate change instead.
Check out this mini doc profiling Surveillance Capitalism author Shoshana Zuboff and her research. The battle against encryption wages on in the US Congress as Senators Lindsey Graham and Richard Blumenthal propose new legislation aimed at tech giants like Google and Facebook. Google UK users might miss out on GDPR privacy protections now that they’re leaving the EU.
In crypto-related news, Kraken released their annual industry report. Decrypt tracked 133K Ethereum names and revealed a surprising amount. I really enjoyed tromer’s zcash brief history of decentralization. That’s all y’all, happy Friday!